Scroll down for size guide and info about fabric & material.
The women's version of the Alice sewing pattern is a loose top and dress that can be sewn in both knitted and woven fabric. Alice has a dropped shoulder and the sleeve ends with edging. The three-quarter sleeve is hemmed and you can also sew a small elastic for a nice ruching at the sleeve end.
If you sew Alice in woven fabric, the neckline is finished with a lining, and if you sew in tricot, you can choose lining or edging.
The top is slightly exposed, while the bodice of the dress tapers at the waist. You can adjust the width of the waist yourself with the tie at the front, as well as elastic along the back.
Alice's front piece is split, but the instruction booklet also shows how to sew Alice with a full front piece.
Difficulty level: 2/3
• Fabric: Woven fabric (eg viscose, satin) or jersey (eg cotton jersey, viscose jersey, college, or ponte di roma).
The measurements above are in cm. The fabric consumption is approximate and applies to washed fabrics with a width of 150 cm. If you are going to buy new fabric for your project, please add 10-20 cm just in case.
• Thin elastic, approx. 5 mm, if you want to sew 3/4 sleeves. Length: 2x12 cm.
• Elastic, width approx. 10-15 mm, for the back bodice of the dress. Length: approx. 30-40 cm.
• Sandwiches (if you sew the top/dress in woven fabric). Choose an interlayer that is slightly thinner/lighter than your fabric, preferably iron-on.
• Sewing machine (with stretch needle if you sew in knitwear). An overlock machine can be used for most steps, but it works just as well with a sewing machine.
Measure your chest width, waist width and leg width and choose a size based on how you want the garment to sit on your body.
All bodies are different and it is not necessary to have a body whose measurements all point to the same size. Alice has an oversize fit, so in this garment you can e.g. sew size 38 even if your leg width rather points to size 40 (approx. 100 cm), because the leg width of the finished garment in size 38 is 103 cm.
Of course, you can mix sizes, or lengthen/shorten. More information can be found in the sewing description.
* The waist width is calculated on the dress without elastic in the back, and without tying the front. You can regulate how loose or tight the dress should be in the waist by choosing the length of the elastic and how tightly you tie the front piece.